Sharing is Caring

Tuesday, March 29

Bad earthquake

So the coworker that is totally an insensitive bastard (the one who makes fun of me "not" being Latina!) is from Sri Lanka and he was actually at home for the tsunami last year. Can you believe just 3 months later another earthquake is shaking things up over there? I think I saw that there was not another tsunami but I am sure still lots of damage and casualties. Nature is scary. So his story is freaking intense so I'll share it today! He was working out in the garage while his family was out at church. All of sudden the garage just starts filling with water and he is submerged. He tries to open one of the doors to his house but the current was pushing against him so he was helpless. He took one last breathe and tried some more. He was so lucky because this time the current was pulling back and the force allowed him to open the door. Basically he was floated up his own stairs to the second floor. He managed to get to one of the rooms that had a balcony. He made it out and saw a clothes line, grabbed it, and then was floated out towards a tree. He managed to grab on to the tree and tie himself with the close line. He was up there for some godly insane amount of time. His family was fortunate enough to be on somewhat higher grounds so the wave was not as intense. Still I think some had broken bones and stuff. My coworker was in the hospital for a week or something. So my version of the story is probably off a bit but you get the gist of it. I just feel so bad for him cuz this time around he hasn;t been able to get in touch with any of his family:(

Random thought. Why is it we talk in our baby voices to animals and babies? Do they understand us better when we talk in that tone? What if a baby was raised without any exposure to that baby voice. Would they not be able to learn to speak?! I wonder if studies have been done on this. Fascinating I tell ya!

So today I am feeling quite good. Made it to a spinning class which sucked (both good and bad). It was freaking hard (the good suck but it was climbing the whole time which is no fun (bad suck). The water pressure was stellar today. It is another lovely day outside although tomorrow it is raining:( Tonight I might go see Dr. Ruth speak at some place that is like a block from my hotel! Totally random but when will this ever happen again?!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Y said…

    Good Q... I *always* talk to babies in that high pitch voice. Probably because it's innate? Either that or it's been ingrained into me since others do it.

    Side note... took a psyc course and babies *do* respond better to high pitch voices. I can't say whether they learn better at that frequency or not though...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home